Friday, July 22, 2011

Father & Son and Fight Test

Here's a post with a bunch of good and similar music...





Wayne Coyne (of the Flaming Lips) said this of the two songs:
I want to go on record for the first time and say that I really apologise for the whole thing. I really love Cat Stevens. I truly respect him as a great singer-songwriter. And now he wants his money. There was a time during the recording when we said, this has a similarity to "Father And Son". Then we purposefully changed those bits. But I do regret not contacting his record company and asking their opinion. Maybe we could have gone 50-50. As it is, Cat Stevens is now getting 75 per cent of royalties from "Fight Test", We could easily have changed the melody but we didn't. I am really sorry that Cat Stevens thinks I'm purposefully plagiarising his work. I am ashamed. There is obviously a fine line between being inspired and stealing. But if anyone wanted to borrow part of a Flaming Lips song, I don't think I'd bother pursuing it. I've got better things to do. Anyway, Cat Stevens is never going to make much money out of us.'
It's my (probably bias) opinion that the Flaming Lips song is the greater of the two. It seems to me the Coyne's spirit about it all is the better one.

No comments:

more

Related Posts with Thumbnails